The news we have all been expecting finally came today that the Olympic and Paralympic Games will be postponed to 2021
“I proposed to postpone for a year and [IOC] president Thomas Bach responded with 100% agreement,” said Shinzo Abe, Japan’s Prime Minister.
The event will still be called Tokyo 2020 despite taking place in 2021.
In a joint statement, the organisers of Tokyo 2020 and the IOC said: “The unprecedented and unpredictable spread of the outbreak has seen the situation in the rest of the world deteriorating.
“On Monday, the director general of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said that the Covid-19 pandemic is ‘accelerating’. “There are more than 375,000 cases now recorded worldwide and in nearly every country, and their number is growing by the hour.
“In the present circumstances and based on the information provided by the WHO today [Tuesday], the IOC president and the prime minister of Japan have concluded that the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021, to safeguard the health of the athletes, everybody involved in the Olympic Games and the international community.”
This news will obviously disappoint many but the pressure of not knowing how they were supposed to keep training whilst following government guidelines on social distancing, and in most countries now lock down, has put extra stress on the shoulders of athletes which will now be lifted, allowing their national federations to recoup and work towards 2021
- BEF confirms the elements of equestrian activity that may resume and more importantly those that may not.
- The third part of our series on stretching and flexibility with Sharon Stuart or Stuart Equine – forelimb and neck stretches for the horse and shoulder stretches for the rider
- Holly Norris – my pride for G and unlocking more ‘niceness’ n less ‘death’ in her work
- Di Green, Grade 1 International Para Dressage – new RDA Ambassador role and more…
- Lofty may be in lockdown but he is making good use of his time learning new skills
- Advice Hub
- Carriage Driving
- Featured Horse Ads
- Featured Posts
- Horse Racing
- Horse's Mouth
- Le Trec
- Leisure Riders
- Mounted Games
- Rescue & Rehabilitation
- Show Jumping
- Tack Room
- Team Chasing
- The Pony Club