|British Eventing was devastated to receive the news that one of our young members and bright stars in the sport, Iona Sclater, sadly died in a riding accident at home on Sunday 11 August.
Long-listed for the 2017 and 2019 European Championships for Ponies, fifteen year old Iona was an exceptionally talented and dedicated young event rider. In just five seasons competing with British Eventing, Iona amassed 33 top ten results and represented the Eastern region four times at the Under 18 Regional Team Championships (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019).
Iona’s impressive results this season to secure her a place on the Pony European Championships long-list, include taking second place in the Pony Trial at Weston Park (1) and fourth in the Pony Trial at Lincolnshire Horse Trials in April, both on her pony Foxtown Cufflynx. Most recently Iona won the BE100u18 at Stratford Hills this June on Foxtown Cufflynx, and also claimed the win in the BE100 at Aston Le Walls (2) in May riding Machno Excalibur, along with the Open Novice Under 18 at Burnham Market International (1) in April with Janet Willis’ Watermill Rocks.
Our thoughts are with Iona’s friends and family, her Dad, Charles, Mum, Hetty, and sisters Lara and Alicia, at this very difficult time.
Image by Adam Fanthorpe
- Get summer ready with Trendy Equine
- I’ve learnt as I’ve got older to really listen to what the people around me say about others
- Meet Jo Alderton-Whitworth – RDA Green Coach, Para Coach and International Groom
- BEF confirms the elements of equestrian activity that may resume and more importantly those that may not.
- The third part of our series on stretching and flexibility with Sharon Stuart or Stuart Equine – forelimb and neck stretches for the horse and shoulder stretches for the rider
- Advice Hub
- Carriage Driving
- Featured Horse Ads
- Featured Posts
- Horse Racing
- Horse's Mouth
- Le Trec
- Leisure Riders
- Mounted Games
- Rescue & Rehabilitation
- Show Jumping
- Tack Room
- Team Chasing
- The Pony Club